Welcome To Soul-Development! An online community that cares and shares with thoughtfulness and kindness.
TheBelievingSceptic

Faeries.

TheBelievingSceptic

Sorry, I know this board seems to be more aimed towards vampires and things but I couldn't think where else to place this topic.

Anyway, I recently bought some Faerie Oracle cards (that's not the important part) and they come with a book (by Brian Froud and Jessica Macbeth, if anyone's interested).

The way it approached faeries is that they are light-hearted and playful, happy little creatures.

If you dig way back into past myths and legends about faeries, they are seen as horrible blood sucking killers (almost vampire-like).

Are there different types of faeries? Or do they, like any other creature, change their moods?

If they were always seen as malevolent, what happened which changed peoples' perceptions on how we see them today as light and loving etc (or vice versa)? How do we know we can trust them now if they used to have such a bad reputation?

Crystal Wolf

oooh I love that deck!! I think that there are good and bad same as with people. Ans like the Sylph and the macabre faeries maybe some evil too?

How are you getting on with the deck?

I used to keep a scrapbook of things I found in papers/mags that interested me, Im sure one was an article about how things like innocent looking fairies can shock people to death in the olden medieval days.

Im seem to be obsessed with fairies, I make pictures and sell them as prints, and a set of vintage fairy pics I made are a big seller.

Off to google those fairy Oracle cards.

What an interesting question. Funnily enough it reminds me of something my boyfriend was telling me earlier today. He was saying that angels used to be seen as tricksters and malevolent, much like how you describe the old faeries and was wondering how they became the angels we know as today as light beings, basically. I had a thought which might explain this. I mean, assuming that back in the day people were more suspicious and judgmental, perhaps their views came across to their deities or things like that. :) Do we form the angels/faeries? Perhaps our shifted perceptions or perhaps desires of what they are to be... change them. After all, if we can imagine, we can change things... we could equally create a malevolent being in our heads than a nice and kind one.

I mean... perhaps the beings are equally dependent on us as we can be on them. "Dependent" in the... well not the entire sense of the word... but I think you know what I mean. What do you guys think? It's a possible explanation. :)

Crystal Wolf

I used to keep a scrapbook of things I found in papers/mags that interested me, Im sure one was an article about how things like innocent looking fairies can shock people to death in the olden medieval days.

Im seem to be obsessed with fairies, I make pictures and sell them as prints, and a set of vintage fairy pics I made are a big seller.

Off to google those fairy Oracle cards.

This reminds me of those doctor whoo weeping angels,, oooooh :willy_nilly:

What an interesting question. Funnily enough it reminds me of something my boyfriend was telling me earlier today. He was saying that angels used to be seen as tricksters and malevolent, much like how you describe the old faeries and was wondering how they became the angels we know as today as light beings, basically. I had a thought which might explain this. I mean, assuming that back in the day people were more suspicious and judgmental, perhaps their views came across to their deities or things like that. :) Do we form the angels/faeries? Perhaps our shifted perceptions or perhaps desires of what they are to be... change them. After all, if we can imagine, we can change things... we could equally create a malevolent being in our heads than a nice and kind one.

I mean... perhaps the beings are equally dependent on us as we can be on them. "Dependent" in the... well not the entire sense of the word... but I think you know what I mean. What do you guys think? It's a possible explanation. :)

I think that definitely our imagination and desires play a major part in creating and altering these beings.

WolfSong

Aha, the weeping angels! Those were a little creepy! :outtahere1:

Wonder if we'll see them in the new series that showing at the moment. :outtahere1:

Crystal Wolf

they were in the last series with the crack in the wall weren't they? I loved the David Tennant weeping angels with the loop back in time and the video brilliant

Now I do wonder when he will marry Prof Song?

moonwanderer

Out of all the supernatural type creatures, faeries are in my opinion the most likely to actually exist. 

CrystalDreamer

Actually, looking at the history of folklore and mythology, most fabled creatures can be directly traced to other animals that the original creator had never seen before. Sea monsters, for example, were likely conceived in stories and experiences with (killer) whales and even dolphins, while fairies/fairies/fae/whatever you want to call them may be traced back to butterflies and other small, colourful creatures. Imagine seeing a large, colourful butterfly for the first time! This same reasoning can be applied to Cthulu (giant squid), Roc (large vultures/eagles) and so forth.

Take this Classical mozaic, for example. This is what someone imagined a dolphin looked like from descriptions.

Z31.10Eros.jpg

Terrifying, right? Now imagine someone described a humpback whale to someone who had never seen one before. Tadaa, the sea monster is born. Maybe this takes the wonder out of mythological/folklore creatures, but for me the magic is in how they are perceived and survive throughout history. :)

Crystal Wolf

Reminds me of the blind people describing an elephant?

CrystalDreamer

Reminds me of the blind people describing an elephant?

I don't know anything about that? Is it a documentary or something? :)

Crystal Wolf

It was six men of Indostan
To learning much inclined,
Who went to see the Elephant
(Though all of them were blind),
That each by observation
Might satisfy his mind.

The First approach’d the Elephant,
And happening to fall
Against his broad and sturdy side,
At once began to bawl:
“God bless me! but the Elephant
Is very like a wall!”

The Second, feeling of the tusk,
Cried, -“Ho! what have we here
So very round and smooth and sharp?
To me ’tis mighty clear
This wonder of an Elephant
Is very like a spear!”

The Third approached the animal,
And happening to take
The squirming trunk within his hands,
Thus boldly up and spake:
“I see,” quoth he, “the Elephant
Is very like a snake!”

The Fourth reached out his eager hand,
And felt about the knee.
“What most this wondrous beast is like
Is mighty plain,” quoth he,
“‘Tis clear enough the Elephant
Is very like a tree!”

The Fifth, who chanced to touch the ear,
Said: “E’en the blindest man
Can tell what this resembles most;
Deny the fact who can,
This marvel of an Elephant
Is very like a fan!”

The Sixth no sooner had begun
About the beast to grope,
Then, seizing on the swinging tail
That fell within his scope,
“I see,” quoth he, “the Elephant
Is very like a rope!”

And so these men of Indostan
Disputed loud and long,
Each in his own opinion
Exceeding stiff and strong,
Though each was partly in the right,
And all were in the wrong!

MORAL.
So oft in theologic wars,
The disputants, I ween,
Rail on in utter ignorance
Of what each other mean,
And prate about an Elephant
Not one of them has seen!

The poem “The Blind Men and the Elephant” was written by John Godfrey Saxe (1816-1887). The essence of the poem is that their reactions were:

• The first felt the side of the elephant and said: It’s a wall
  • The second got hold of a tusk and said: It’s spear
  • The third felt the trunk and said: it’s a snake
  • The fourth put his arms around a leg and said: it’s a tree
  • The fifth touched the ears and said: it’s a fan
  • The sixth grasped the tail and said: It’s a rope

The last stanza of the poem is: “And so these men of Indostan
 disputed loud and long,
each in his own opinion 
exceeding stiff and strong. 
Though each was partly in the right, 
and all were in the wrong!”

WolfSong

Terrifying, right? Now imagine someone described a humpback whale to someone who had never seen one before. Tadaa, the sea monster is born. Maybe this takes the wonder out of mythological/folklore creatures, but for me the magic is in how they are perceived and survive throughout history. :)

There was a program on tv here in the UK a few weeks back that explored this idea & for the life of me I can't remember what it was called now. :)

CrystalDreamer

That poem totally rocks. I'm gonna learn that one by heart. Next time I meet an ignorant bigot, they won't know what hit 'em :P

Crystal Wolf

hehehe OMG I have created a monster.....   (from Frankenstein by Mary Shelley)

CrystalDreamer

MUAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

*jumps through the window and, crashing through the dark woods, runs off out of sight*

Crystal Wolf

roflmao!!!   should I follow with a lit torch?

CrystalDreamer

roflmao!!!   should I follow with a lit torch?

Crystal, Crystal, Crystal... You know how that always gets characters killed in monster movies. :P

Crystal Wolf

Jurassic Park?  The Blob?