Welcome To Soul-Development! An online community that cares and shares with thoughtfulness and kindness.
Sign in to follow this  
WolfSong

The Wildwood Tarot

WolfSong

wildwoodtarot.png

A strong glossy box the same size as the accompanying book holds this set. The cards are split into two piles & sit in a plastic tray at the base of the box with the book placed on top.

The author Mark Ryan explains in the book preface that The Wildwood Tarot is a reworking of a previous deck of his called The Greenwood Tarot which has been out of print now for a number of years.

The Wildwood Tarot cards themselves are approximately 7 x 12 cm in size & are of standard card stock that has a sheen to it. A white border surrounds each picture with the card number & name at the bottom, the card backs are a plain dark green. Each card is different & has unique artwork which appears traditional rather than being computer-generated graphics. The colours are rich and deep and there is a very European pagan feel to the imagery, lots of green man and hares etc.

Excerpt:

The Wildwood Tarot is based on the seasonal rhythms and festivals of the ancient year & draws its inspiration from pre-Celtic mythology and shamanic mysteries which places mystical archetypes such as The Green Man, The Blasted Oak, the Archer and the Hooded Man into a nature-based system which is rich in shamanic wisdom and forest lore. The Archetypal forces of the deck act as both guides and interpreters, taking the user on a spiritual, mystical and psychological journey deep into the labyrinth of Earth's primal mysteries. Used as a meditation system, divinatory Oracle, or as a reference work for the seeker of profound knowledge, The Wildwood Tarot will draw its readers into the heart of the ancient forest world and enable them to realize interconnectedness with its green energy.

The Major Arcana cards have been named as follows;

0. The Wanderer (The Fool)

1. The Shaman (The Magician)

2. The Seer (High Priestess)

3. The Green Woman (The Empress)

4. The Green Man (The Emperor)

5. The Ancestor (The Hierophant)

6. The Forest Lovers (The Lovers)

7. The Archer (The Chariot)

8. The Stag (Strength)

9. The Hooded Man (The Hermit)

10. The Wheel (Wheel of Fortune)

11. The Woodward (Justice)

12. The Mirror (The Hanged Man)

13. The Journey (Death)

14. Balance (Temperance)

15. The Guardian (Devil)

16. The Blasted Oak (Tower)

17. The Pole Star (The Star)

18. The Moon on Water (The Moon)

19. The Sun of Life (The Sun)

20. The Great Bear (Judgement)

21. The World Tree (The World)

The four suits of the Wildwood Tarot are Bows, Arrows, Vessels & Stones, each of these cards as well as having its name & number printed on it also has a keyword. The court cards either have a bird, beast or reptile on them.

I find myself being drawn more & more towards nature, the seasonal rhythms of the year & ancient mysteries just lately & as I have little knowledge of Celtic mythology and shamanic mysteries I am hoping that this deck will help teach me a little more about both as well as teaching me more about myself.

Getting to know The Wildwood Tarot

Personally I have found that once you have a good understanding of the Rider Waite cards you can usually read almost any other tarot deck within reason without too many problems as long as it follows the Rider Waite closely so this deck may be a challenge to learn if you are used to a traditional tarot deck as the pictures are so different.

As part of getting to know this deck this morning I did a 'getting to know you' exercise that consisted of asking four questions & drawing four cards;

Q1. What type of energy do you embody?

Answer. The Seer - Grounded energy & wisdom that comes from roots that are deeply embedded in the earth.

Q2. What type of questions are you particularly interested in answering?

Answer. Ace of Arrows - The Breath of Life. The vitality of life, the renewal of strength & energy combined with knowledge of where you wish to be & how to get there.

Q3. What is your emotional tone?

Answer. The Shaman - Inner working & meditation to bring insight & understanding of your true place in the world.

Q4. What do you expect from me?

Answer. Page of Arrows - Wren - Study & application to bring wisdom & understanding which can then be applied to most situations.

GettingtoknowtheWildwoodTarot.png

When I first opened up this deck the major arcana & suit name changes plus my lack of knowledge on Celtic mythology threw me a little but as I've got to know this deck over the past few days by carrying the deck around with me, sleeping with it under my pillow & looking at it more closely plus reading through the accompanying book I'm beginning to see that to start with for me this deck is going to be better used as a personal meditation system rather than a reading deck at least until I'm completely familiar with it & its teachings.

Crystal Wolf

aH! Ha! That explains the recent change to WolfSong? Love the new name btw :)

This is a deck I don't have. It sounds very interesting. So many of the new decks seem to have cvhanged the suits and drifted away from the traditional breakdown and titles too.

Will be first in the queue for a reading when youare ready ;)

WolfSong

aH! Ha! That explains the recent change to WolfSong? Love the new name btw :)

:89:

On further investigation of this deck it appears that card no 8 & card no 11 have been swopped around, so The Stag is justice not strength as I first thought & The Woodward is strength not justice.

:scratch:

Crystal Wolf

Oh so it goes back to the Thoth and many other decks that reverse the cards, hmm I just jumped to the assumption of 8 and 11 not 11 and 8, lol, will have another look now :)

Thanks

19fran76

Hi Wolfsong, I'd be interested to know how you've got along with this set over time? It's one that I could be tempted by. Thanks.

WolfSong

Hi Fran, I've not used it in the last six months or so. The deck I always go to just lately is the Rider Waite.

19fran76

I am very new to the tarot (as in a few months) but I absolutely love my Rider Waite & can understand why is so enduringly popular. I'm quite an earthy personality so the Wildwood seems appealing for that reason. As you were discussing previously- for personal contemplation.

i-am-roo

Hello everyone, My name is Matt and I am new to Tarot, I have the Wildwood deck and I absolutely love the the way the images draw me in. I understand this is an old thread so may not get a response here. 

I did a reading on myself for clarity and guidence regarding my current relationship situation and what the outcome of it will be. 

I did an 8 card reading using the World Tree spread but cannot interpret it. I have studied the cards and felt what they mean to me, but still I mind is clouded. 

Does anyone use the wildwood cards? and if so would you be willing to help me interpret the reading please?

thanks

Matt

WolfSong

Hello everyone, My name is Matt and I am new to Tarot, I have the Wildwood deck and I absolutely love the the way the images draw me in. I understand this is an old thread so may not get a response here. 

I did a reading on myself for clarity and guidence regarding my current relationship situation and what the outcome of it will be. 

I did an 8 card reading using the World Tree spread but cannot interpret it. I have studied the cards and felt what they mean to me, but still I mind is clouded. 

Does anyone use the wildwood cards? and if so would you be willing to help me interpret the reading please?

thanks

Matt

Welcome Matt, it's not always easy to read for yourself. :)

If you'd like to start a new thread with the cards you drew & what positions that they fell in please feel free to do so as both Crystal Tarot & myself have this deck.

WolfSong.

Crystal Wolf

Hey Matt, welcome,

It is a difficult deck that's for sure, it doesnt follow any logical interpretations I am afraid so you have to learn it to read it properly the way ot eas designed,

Will be glad to help if I can :)