Welcome To Soul-Development! An online community that cares and shares with thoughtfulness and kindness.
WolfSong

Getting To Know Each Other!

helene58
The exercises sound good ,I wonder can I ask if anyone knows about I suppose everyday meanings that are not usually written down in the book such as reading of a car breakdown or an electrical fault ,some cards do say a bit about letters coming or births weddings and losing keys etc I have also heard reference to" gypsy meanings" in readings but are these all bits of info you pick up using intuition with practice or are there standard signs for them for eg I have recently read for 3 people who had the star card and all three had small wins ,2 of them had the 5 of cups and I read felt like saying someone needs a bit of TLC and both had family members come down with a virus I cant remember if I read this information from somewhere and if so where ?

Crystal Wolf
The trouble with inferring that a card can mean those things is open to debate on whether it can and second whether the reader should.

Going back to 1909 and the Rider Waite deck there were speciific pre-prescribed meaning that the author AE Waite wanted to convey in each card. The 22 Majors became the 22 archetypes of man representing the journey of development through life. The minors with each suit representing an area of life and a journey from Ace to ten. He did not think of meanings such as a car breaking down or an airplane crash as those things were in the far future. Instead he tried to achieve a balance of relevant everyday events that would happen to practically every person and if not then their friends or family.

There are two ways of looking at it, perhaps if we had the 9 of Wands it could be seen on the face of it as illness, feeling under the weather, injury etc but then moral alarm bells should ring. How often do people get unwell? Often is the answer.

fizzy1
i think im happy with them being more of a guide than a future prediction , i could say to anyone i feel that u may be lucky and them buy a scratch card and win but would i have foretold the future or would it be just coincidence ?

fizzy1
oh and the exercises would be great :-)

helene58
HI I don't think I phrased that question very well ,I think what I probably mean would be psychic intuition ? I have been to a few readers who have said for example" who is the little blonde haired boy ?I see him at nursery he is very talkative and also very special or I see you buying a new car " now I mention these two because the first one I was a bit upset over ,my grandson was at nursery however at that time he would not utter a word and although he has come on leaps and bounds since then I still don't think he talks much to the other kids at nursery we were really worried about him ,the second one was when I had just been talking that day to my husband about a new car.I am hoping to be able to read the Tarot as a sort of guidance for people I suppose a bit like counselling so I take this learning very seriously however I suppose being able to comment on what is present in peoples lives at the time (the practical stuff) would offer some reassurance as to what advice you might be able to offer so what I am wondering is if other things come into your head wile reading could these be psychic intuition or are the cards reflecting the information ,sorry its a bit rambled I am having some communicating difficulty today haha

Crystal Wolf
Rambled is fine, we are all here to learn and discuss things :)

The reading you mentioned regarding your grandson was really nothing to do with a tarot reading, did they actually use cards?

It sounds more like the reader adding in things they felt relevant or a gut hunch or feeling and this is where readings get such a difficult subject to pull apart.

We all know that tarot can improve intution but I would go with the reader reading you rather than anything in the cards. Can you tell me more about the reading was it with tarot, in person, online etc?

Crystal Wolf
[quote name='helene58' timestamp='1366550526' post='154812']
HI I don't think I phrased that question very well ,I think what I probably mean would be psychic intuition ? I have been to a few readers who have said for example" who is the little blonde haired boy ?I see him at nursery he is very talkative and also very special or I see you buying a new car " now I mention these two because the first one I was a bit upset over ,my grandson was at nursery however at that time he would not utter a word and although he has come on leaps and bounds since then I still don't think he talks much to the other kids at nursery we were really worried about him ,the second one was when I had just been talking that day to my husband about a new car.I am hoping to be able to read the Tarot as a sort of guidance for people I suppose a bit like counselling so I take this learning very seriously however I suppose being able to comment on what is present in peoples lives at the time (the practical stuff) would offer some reassurance as to what advice you might be able to offer so what I am wondering is if other things come into your head wile reading could these be psychic intuition or are the cards reflecting the information ,sorry its a bit rambled I am having some communicating difficulty today haha
[/quote]

I was thinking about your post again, have you looked at the 6 of Cups and The Sun?

helene58
I meditated on the 2 cards last night didn't really get anything except reminiscent of past times , I felt a bit sorrowful of leaving my last job working with children with social and emotional difficulties ,however The sun is a lovely card and gives me the message of looking on the bright side ,that theres always some positivity in every issue and when the spotlight shines it always brings out the full potential

Crystal Wolf
I thought that they were the only possible cards that might give a reader the inkling about your grandson?

leodyu
Hi Guys. I have been attracted to Tarot for as long as I can remember. Although because I was raised strict Catholic, I have always rebelled against the church and kept my interests secret from my family. Even now, my family doesn't know I have Tarot cards.

My first deck was the Marseilles deck, which I purchased in Japan about five or so years ago. I was attracted to the gothic print and thought it would be a perfect deck to start with! It came with an instruction book and a purple cloth, but unfortunately because of the lack of pictures for the minor arcadia, it was extremely difficult to study!

My second deck was the Golden Tarot. Also purchased in Japan. Again, I was drawn to the rich romantic, gothic art.. and again I was disappointed to find that the minor arcadia wasn't illustrated.

Finally I caved in and purchased the Rider Waite deck. I think I was avoiding this deck because it seemed to be a generic deck to me. But I really LOVED it!! I learned how to read Tarot from this wonderful forum!! And I love that I can use my intuition to read instead of following a book.

I sometimes read for my friends for practice, but I do feel that I need a lot more practice in order to read more successfully! I do love all the different insights tarot can give!!

I haven't bought a deck since Rider Waite, and I gave the last two away. I feel like I need be connected to one deck before I can start exploring other decks. I hope I can open up more and make my own deck someday. :)

TaroHeart

How did you first become interested in tarot?    By my grandmother who had a Rider waite deck from the early 70's that she used to do readings for friends, i became fascinated with the imagery when i had gotten older and then in my mid teens my grandmother had learned me to read bless her,  ;)

What was your first deck? Did you buy it yourself or were you given it?   Given to me by my Grandmother who had read herself.

How many decks do you have?   Since my last count i have over 100 decks, all in my house surrounded by candles and scents 

What deck do you mostly use?    I use the Rider waite that was given to me, now over 40 yrs old and it still looks in good shape 

Do you read for others or do you use it for personal development only?   Yes i do readings for family and friends 

Crystal Wolf
I wonder whether your grandmother was influenced by Solitaire and James Bond in Live and Let Die? The film came out in 1973 and suddenly tarot was in the eye of the public :)

TaroHeart

I wonder whether your grandmother was influenced by Solitaire and James Bond in Live and Let Die? The film came out in 1973 and suddenly tarot was in the eye of the public :)

That film is actually one of my favorite bond movies ever, i love the Tarot of the witches deck i have an original one in my collection from when the film had first come out in the 70's, its a publicity box set but it doesn't have the red backs only blue backs with the 007 logo. ;)

I do remember asking how she got into Tarot she was given a very early Tarot book from the late 60's, so when all the craze started from films like Live and let die i'm sure it must of influenced my Grandmother's interests for her to start reading the cards.

Crystal Wolf

How interesting. I had to go and buy the dvd of the film so I could watch it over and over. That is the film that started my reading of tarot. Boy isn't the Tarot of the Witches hard to read compared to the RWS?

[URL=http://s47.photobucket.com/user/Crystalhealingforall/media/007_zps9e8ef5aa.jpg.html]007_zps9e8ef5aa.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s47.photobucket.com/user/Crystalhealingforall/media/0-07pips_zps8a7b9e9f.jpg.html]0-07pips_zps8a7b9e9f.jpg[/URL]

TaroHeart

How interesting. I had to go and buy the dvd of the film so I could watch it over and over. That is the film that started my reading of tarot. Boy isn't the Tarot of the Witches hard to read compared to the RWS?

007_zps9e8ef5aa.jpg

0-07pips_zps8a7b9e9f.jpg

Yes i agree the Witches does seem a lot harder to read with compared with the Rider waite, although i love the imagery in the Majors I especially like the lovers which was the main featured card in the film. i don't know if you knew but there is a recent up-dated edition of this deck that includes the others cards featured in the film and it comes with the red 007 backs i think you can get it on amazon UK.

Crystal Wolf
Have you ever closely studied the cards used in the film? They are a mix of RWS and these lol, doesn't really bear scrutiny, the deck was made for the film too. What is sad that the film used them for fortune telling,real pain!

TaroHeart

Have you ever closely studied the cards used in the film? They are a mix of RWS and these lol, doesn't really bear scrutiny, the deck was made for the film too. What is sad that the film used them for fortune telling,real pain!

Yes i did notice the Rider waite cards in the film like the Death card? what i understand is the witches deck wasn't fully completed when the film had come out, so the film production team needed to show the Death card but they couldn't show it from the witches deck in time so they had to mix the Rider waite cards with the witches.

TaroHeart

There is now a film prop edition of this deck with the red 007 backs available, here is a link below if your interested

but it's not the full 78 deck only about 27 cards?

http://www.collectorsquest.com/blog/2012/11/08/collecting-james-bond-solitaires-tarot-cards-from-factory-entertainment/

Crystal Wolf

Wjmarty
How did you first become interested in tarot?
While reading about development, a subject that came up a few times was Tarot. When reading about it my interest was piqued & I decided that it was something Ai would like to do.

What was your first deck?
Did you buy it yourself or were you given it?
How many decks do you have?
What deck do you mostly use?

Only have one deck of Crowley / Thoth...after thinking about why I was drawn to it I wondered if it was because I recognised the name Crowley from a book (Good Omens by Terry Pratchett). I bought it myself as no-one else knows I am studying them. I was quite excited when I saw there is a John Dee deck as I have just read a series of books in which one of the characters is based on him. Although I think as a beginner I will only have those to keep rather than read from them as I think I need to concentrate on a single deck while I learn.

Do you read for others or do you use it for personal development only?
Only reading for myself for development at the moment.

I first became interested in tarot after reading & participating in communities like Soul Development. My first deck was a learn to read tarot book & deck set that I picked up in a local store. Since buying that first set I've become something of a collector & have lost count of how many I now have. My go to deck is the Radiant Rider-Waite Tarot as I like the colouring of it. I use tarot for personal development & to read for others.

Who's next? :)

poppy

I first became interested when Crystal Tarot offered a course based upon the "Shadowscapes Tarot". This is the only deck that I have. I love the imagery and beauty of this deck, although I do not read Tarot. I often draw one card from it and use the image as a focus for a meditation. Stephanie Law's use of so many mythological symbols gets my subconscious stimulated. 

Crystal Wolf

Brilliantisimo thank you both for adding to this thread, oneof my favourites.

WJ did you get access to the Tarot Club?

And Poppy you CAN read Tarot  you  just don't believe you can lol.

Wjmarty

Brilliantisimo thank you both for adding to this thread, oneof my favourites.

WJ did you get access to the Tarot Club?

And Poppy you CAN read Tarot  you  just don't believe you can lol.

I tried this morning and seems fine, thank you for whatever you did.

misspoe

I began practicing the craft and a friend gave a tarot deck to me as a gift.

What was your first deck? Did you buy it yourself or were you given it?

My first deck was the the Gill Tarot Deck, but I call them the Eloheim. They are based in Rider and the Kaballah. My college friend gave it to me.

I have 4 decks.

I have mostly used my Quantum Tarot deck recently. They chose me. Interesting story.

I usually read others. I don't like reading myself because I feel I am too biased. However, there have been times I have used the cards for meditation.

Madame Marigold

I guess around 2006? Thanks to our crystal leader here~

What was your first deck? Did you buy it yourself or were you given it?

"Wolf Speak" more of a oracle deck but then the "Aquarian"

Im down to 5 now....

"Pagan Cats"

I usually read others.  but also read for about anything or any reason~