Welcome To Soul-Development! An online community that cares and shares with thoughtfulness and kindness.
Sign in to follow this  
ocean

The Buckland Romani Tarot Review.

ocean

I have just received the Buckland Romani tarot deck this morning and i thought i would do a little review of it for anyone who may be interested.The Buckland Romani tarot deck is by Raymond Buckland the son of a Romani gypsy (English gypsy) and the cards are based on Romani.The scenes depict English gypsy life i think somewhere between the mid 1940's to mid 1960's.If anyone has ever watched the English tv programme heartbeat which is set in the 1960's then you may well like this deck as you can imagine many of the scenes on the cards taking place in the same beutifull yorkshire countryside.

The cards that i have got are a second edition of this deck.I think it may have been out of print for a while prior to this second edition coming out.I saw some images of these cards quite a few years back and i instantly knew i had to have them but unfortuneately at that time i could only find used decks for sale and they were all stupidly priced (£350 plus).This week when crystal tarot informed me that this new edition is available on ebay i jumped enthusiastically at the chance to finally own this tarot deck and for only £19.99 new and sealed and  deliverd free.

When the cards arived i was very excited and could not wait to get them out of the box and when i did they were far more beutifull than i ever imagined.The artwork is very colourfull and a lot of the scenes are just gorgeous.At times people  talk of decks of tarot that speak to them and i think after collecting over 100 decks this is the deck that speaks to me the most,in fact it absolutely screams out to me.

This version i have got is just the cards in a box, there is no little white book to help guide any beginers that may be thinking of buying them.Anyone used to using rider waite style cards will have no problem reading them,most of the cards are very easy to interpret.

The backs of the cards are blue and green with a red gypsy caravan wheel in the middle and they are reversable.The cards are fairly thick and not at all flimsy.

The major arcana cards are numberd but they do not have titles on them like the magician,hanged man,strength they only have numbers,this is no problem though as the images realy do speak for themselves.The suits are renamed koshes(wands),koros(cups),bolers(pentacles,wheels),chivs(swords,knifes).

My favourite pictures are on two koros(cups),17  (stars),13 (death),1(magician),6(lovers) and five koshes(wands).

On the  13 death card the grim reaper is above a gypsy caravan which is burning,definately the last time it will be used.

On the 1 magician card you have a very beutifull gypsy woman in place of a man.

On the 6 lovers card both man and woman are naked getting it together amongst all the greenery in the woods while a owl watches on.

on the 5 koshers(wands) a very English morris dancing scene all clatering their sticks together.

There is a very different version of the hanged man (a rabbit dangling on a rope that is tied to its legs).

The 10 of chivs(swords) has a body on the floor coverd in blood with 10 daggers stuck in it and a heartbeat looking English policeman in the snow at the side of the body. The Buckland Romani tarot deck is  very beutifull and colourfull showing English gypsy  scenes and a way of life that is just about a thing of the past and it is a worthy edition to any tarot addicts collection.

These cards were bought on ebay from psychic bazaar £19.99 with a free  delivery which if i may add was a very fast delivery.

Raymond Buckland born 1934 in England developed a interest in spiritualism and the ocult by the age of 12 and become a writer on the subject of wicca and a high priest in the gardenarian tradition.

He introduced the lineage of gardenarian wicca in to the united states in 1964.

Sorry that i have put no card images on but i do not know how to do this.Crystal tarot  thanks for the tip off on where to get these cards. 

Thanks for reading Ocean/David

WolfSong

I really enjoyed reading that David, thank you. :)

ocean
Thanks wolfsong and also thanks for the super ocean scene.I love it.

WolfSong

Your welcome. :)

Crystal Wolf

Love the avatar and the review,

but you missed out two crucial pieces of info that I need please...

1.) are the cards glossy, slippery, do they shuffle well?

2.) What size are they?

3) what do they smell like?

OK so that is threee lol :)

ocean

Hello crystal tarot.Thanks very much for the comments.You are right i did miss out this crucial info.I did meen to write about 1 and 2 but totaly forgot so please feel free to flog me or put me in some stocks and throw rotten veg at me.

1The cards are not slippery at all so if you like to fan them out smoothly  across the table then you would have trouble doing so.They do clump together a bit.

2The size is roughly 2.8 x 4.6 inches.

3 Wow whats that all about.They smell of card.Actually i must confess i do always have a good sniff at each new deck of cards that i get but i did not think other people did it i thought it was just me thats a little strange.

I have noticed that some us game systems cards smell of hospitals eg-radiant rider waite and morgan greer and i was told recently about a deck that smells of chocolate.Hope that answers your questions.

Thanks very much.Ocean/David xxx

Crystal Wolf

purrfect, <puts away soft tomatoes>  thanks :)

I am getting fussy and the feel of the deck is very important to me now. So many decks are printed on almost matt stocks that snag when shuffling or fanning. I love gloss lol, slippery decks!

And smell is nice to know. There is something lovely about a new deck smell :)

What are the readings like so far then?

ocean

Hi crystal tarot.Wow i am glad i dodged the soft tomatoes,maybe you can save them to decay a little more and throw them at my handsome face another day.

You are right,i love slippery decks aswell which reminds me can i pick your brains?.My radient rider waites were very slippery when i first got them years ago but now they are getting very sticky,grubby and starting to clump together.Do you know what i can do to get them back in to shape?.Please help me teacher.

The new cards have not been used yet i am ashamed to say.I just keep looking loveingly at them.

Love Ocean/David xxx

Crystal Wolf

One of the best things is to rinse your hands in cold running water before using any cards. This not only cleanses but grounds and earths the person too.

Some people use talc or cornflour or arrowroot, some wipe the cards with a cloth, it all depends on the deck and the card stock etc. Some will actually tumble dry the cards which roughens them and 'ages' them making the surface more matt.

Storing them in the sun or in a hot car etc can make some surfaces become sticky too.

ocean
Hello crystal tarot.Thanks very much for info/advice.