Welcome To Soul-Development! An online community that cares and shares with thoughtfulness and kindness.
Sign in to follow this  
Crystal Wolf

Mindfulness - A new free workshop for all to join in with.

Crystal Wolf

From Wiki - Mindfulness is "the intentional, accepting and non-judgmental focus of one's attention on the emotions, thoughts and sensations occurring in the present moment",.

Basically mindfulness is simply  taking notice of the moment. THIS very moment when you are reading these words.

Now please just take this moment to concentrate and look around you, where are you, what are you doing, thinking, feeling, smelling, hearing, tasting, touching?

• Are you where you expected to be?

• Is there anything unexpected that you have just noticed? Perhaps something bright or shiny, pretty or shocking?

• Take a deep breath in through the nose all the way down till you can inhale no more, hold it for a second then slowly exhale through your mouth.

That is your first attempt at being mindful, so well done, of course, unless you are already mindful in which case it is another mindful moment.

Hopefully this will be fun for all of us to take a journey through each others moments, learn about each of us and the world we live in in a kind and gently calming way, no pressure, no cost and no stress.

Who wants to join in? Everyone is welcome, new members, old members, everyone :)

poppy

Mindfulness seems to be the meditation of choice by the medical community in the United States. This is probably because of the short learning curve and the availability of good quality videos on www.youtube.com. Results seem to come quickly and rather intuitively. I will certainly join in.

Legna

A lovely little exercise! I am where I expected to be and I haven't noticed anything unexpected. Nothing much gets past my beady eyes  lol, well not in the home anyway, I know every inch of it.

Hope theres more, I'm looking forward to it. :)

Crystal Wolf

You are right Pops, but to be honest the first time my doctor 'prescribed' me mindfulness for stress I was rather miffed and out out! Making more time for mor meditation seemed a bit insulting to me lol, but I have slightly changed the idea as you will see.

And I know if it ain't broke don't fix it but well, perhaps mindfulness is the wrong term perhaps this should be about centering and being in the moment?

There are masses of resources online and I thought it might be rather fun to have our own little workshop here and see how we all get on :)

Legna, that's good, thanks for taking part :)

poppy

I was introduced to mindfulness meditation 6 or 7 months ago while attending cardiac rehabilitation. After reading this forum yesterday I ordered a 48 page book by Sara Elliott Price for my Kindle and am about 1/3 way into it. After her introduction to mindfulness meditation, she suggests incorporating mindfulness into parts of our every day life. 

This morning I decided that Soul Development would be an excellent place to begin. Too often I log on, skim the new topics and think about a million or two other things while reading and then move on without another thought. You, my friends, deserve more than that; you deserve my undivided attention. You won't realize that now I am paying more attention (being mindful) to each of your posts but I will know and I should become more aware of who you are, your likes and dislikes, your problems and celebrations. Each of you should become much more to me than a few words on a monitor; you should become a part of my cyber-life. I hope to become worthy of your friendship! 

CrystalDreamer

There used to be a time when I was pretty much zen all the time, mindfull and all that. Maybe it was a way to cope, who knows. I think I can achieve that again with some practice, so I think I'm gonna give it a whirl as well.

Crystal Wolf

Poppy that is pretty deep and soul full. I agree, I too scan and skim and it is something I will try my best to change.

I think perhaps we might start a new chapter for each of us? Perhaps a personal thread or a diary type thing, not sure just yet.

CD, I think you deserve a new title from Helping Hand to something like 'Searching for Zen'?

poppy

I certainly agree that a new direction could be within our future awareness.

I noticed a difference when I read that syd-Viscious first post saying that she was preparing to join the navy. This brought back the old memories I had when I joined the navy so many years ago, not having any idea of what to expect. It was much later when I realized the opportunities that I had for both there and after I returned to civilian life. Yes, I do believe that each of you deserve my undivided attention. I think your idea of something to keep this idea alive is great. I look forward to your suggestions. 

CrystalDreamer

Nah, I don't really like that title, nor that label, so no thanks :P

Crystal Wolf

Well I think that you can change it yourself? I have put it back to default level. let mew know if you want to change it and you can't/

Poppy, not sure on any suggestions? Will have to think? What about you?

CrystalDreamer

Oh, I hadn't noticed you changed it :P
I'll have a look :)

poppy

For now, each time I log in I reread the definition you gave, and try to maintain that state as nearly as I can while on SoulDevelopment, but am awaiting suggestions and on-line provisions from you.   

From Wiki - Mindfulness is "the intentional, accepting and non-judgmental focus of one's attention on the emotions, thoughts and sensations occurring in the present moment",.

CrystalDreamer

Is there one definitive definition though? Does one definition cover it, and is a single general definition enough to cover the individual feeling and visions we associate with mindfulness?

poppy

Is there one definitive definition though? Does one definition cover it, and is a single general definition enough to cover the individual feeling and visions we associate with mindfulness?

​I seriously doubt it, yet the definition from Wikipedia seems as good of a place to start as any. 

Crystal Wolf

A dash of ginger? lol, come on tell us why...

What is your definition then?

WolfSong

I tried mindfulness when I went to bed on Tuesday night, I focused on relaxing my breathing, then focused on the warmth coming from my hot water bottle as it warmed me up, it was the best nights sleep I've had in ages & I even woke up an hour later than usual. Last night I forgot to do it & woke up feeling as though I hadn't slept at all, must be why I've had a grumpy day today. :(

Madame Marigold

What comes to my mind is "Awareness" I know that is very extremely simplistic but....anyway I just did  the exercise and I'm exactly where I always/suppose to be...and so far nothing is glittering yet (haven't looked out back windows yet) only thing odd is it is EXTREMELY quiet! Everything is! The tree's, the wind! All the critters, even the wildlife, EVERYTHING!  I have never noticed it like this before. There is usually at least a squirrel or a bird something but not at this moment even my youngster kitties who normally race around like they are on speed are actually missing! hmmmm  where oh where can my trouble makers be? AH HAH old cat sleeping in my PLANT! ugghhh one kitty tail poking out of empty paper sack and the worst one up ON TOP OF MY FRIDGE! ...growls see ya soon .......

Crystal Wolf

I tried mindfulness when I went to bed on Tuesday night, I focused on relaxing my breathing, then focused on the warmth coming from my hot water bottle as it warmed me up, it was the best nights sleep I've had in ages & I even woke up an hour later than usual. Last night I forgot to do it & woke up feeling as though I hadn't slept at all, must be why I've had a grumpy day today. :(

You? Grumpy? Never!! 

<~~~~~ runs off to hide

Crystal Wolf

What comes to my mind is "Awareness" I know that is very extremely simplistic but....anyway I just did  the exercise and I'm exactly where I always/suppose to be...and so far nothing is glittering yet (haven't looked out back windows yet) only thing odd is it is EXTREMELY quiet! Everything is! The tree's, the wind! All the critters, even the wildlife, EVERYTHING!  I have never noticed it like this before. There is usually at least a squirrel or a bird something but not at this moment even my youngster kitties who normally race around like they are on speed are actually missing! hmmmm  where oh where can my trouble makers be? AH HAH old cat sleeping in my PLANT! ugghhh one kitty tail poking out of empty paper sack and the worst one up ON TOP OF MY FRIDGE! ...growls see ya soon .......

I love hearing about your critters, they sound lovely. Do you still have any what was it groundhogs or possums, something outside?

Madame Marigold

Oh yes....I went out (before this cold weather hit) to see hubby off it was like 5 a.m. in the morning and I had all this pots of tomato plants on the porch and I could smell something EXTREMELY raunchy! Like a skunk but worse....all of a sudden I hear this hissing at me and turned and there on the banister not 1/2 foot away was a very fussy possum....ugghhh plum nasty! And yes the raccoons are still around but only come up for water cause the pond in the next acreage is dry since I wont let the old cat out.

I know the deer still come on the property but now only down at the gate cause of the cows and goats. But we do still have loads of owls (at least 8 different voices) if I go out and "hoot" at them I cant tell if they think I'm  invading their territory a newbie owl or a nut but talk about a congress of calls!  They all get fussy...:-) and still get a occasional coyote but this summer I had 2 pea hens come stay for 3 days! They were as big as a turkey! (hunting ones, the BIG ones) way bigger than my 50 lb dog! And bossy demanding queens you'd think the way they acted! Were not afraid at all...demanded hubby refill the water bowl wouldn't let him pet or touch but...LOL

I called everywhere looking for owner had hubby knocking on all the doors in a 5 mile range (which is all of 12ish?)...called feed store who gave me the only peacock raiser in the county and the old man said all his girls where at home but if they were still here come spring he would give me a tom....I was all excited was gonna have the 3 C's..."Cecille, Celeste and Cicero" then the dratted things decided to go beg somewhere else....pouts  Someday, someday.......snickers..

other than that we are now up to 4 bulls and 3 cows (I dread him hauling off the little boys) but now down to 6 goats and still got the 3 sheep and our old lab has gone as blind as a bat! but he wont put her down since she is not in pain so it is a challenge for her (and us) poor girl.  Anyway finally got the cat off the fridge with the broom (gentle nudges I restrained myself) barely...he knocked off all of dad's vitamins and meds....I even have to hid my toilet paper in those plastic containers you get strawberries in to keep them from shredding the rolls. shakes head always plotting against me they are. And oh now there is a squirrel hanging on my screen outside the window chattering at me...I must be in trouble?  Be back in a bit...shakes head sighing...stupid critters.

Crystal Wolf

Wow, I loved reading that! Such a different world of critters. They must keep you busy. You paint such a pretty picture of all the wild things :) More stories please.

poppy

Makes me home-sick for my childhood 70 odd years ago in Texas when we would go visit my aunt. 

Madame Marigold

Oh its like it is a different world here during the day when its only me. it seems like its on a different frequency? I don't know if that makes sense but they all stand off when any other humans are around. And what's weird it is not just the wild life that has that attitude but also the domesticated indoor animals as well. I don't think anyone else (at least here) would understand their language or their games. They are very subtle.

Today the HUGE hawks have come back circling the house hollering hello to me...and I do have this one HUMONGOUS spider he is as big as a half dollar [piece? who makes the most intricate web during the night then as I'm go out to see hubby off in the dark at 5 am he very gentlemanly pulls this whole web up so I can go to edge of porch and he just sits there kind of swaying back and forth almost like he is truly listening as I chat softly to him then once I go back inside he finish's taking it all up till the next night. It seems like I have more conversations with critters other than you guys! LOL  (And he actually waits for me to come out before he finishes pulling it up I found that out one weekend morning) I think I will see if hubby will go put out some cat food in pan for the stray I saw earlier. big bunny hugs

Crystal Wolf

Awwwwh don't stop telling your stories. You make me think of Old Mother Hubbard and her spider.

Legna

I was  mindful when eating breakfast this morning.  I sat with a cup of coffee and breathed in deeply, smelling the aroma, then I sipped gently and savoured the taste, noticing how the hot fluid affected my tongue. I did this with every sip and never enjoyed a cup of coffee as much as this one. It was as though it was my first ever cup of coffee and made me realise that, even when I sit down to a meal I never really take the time to really taste it. Often it is a case of eating quickly so that I can go and do some little job or other, always rushing around. I did the same with my meal of bacon and cheese sandwiches. I took the time to notice each flavour, how the meal made me feel, and also chewed each piece of food well before swallowing, making the flavour last as long as possible in my mouth  before swallowing. Usually I could probably be greedy and have another sandwich, but because I was being mindful, I  was surprised at  how soon  I recognised when I was full.

I am going to try and be mindful for at least one  meal a day in the future. :)

Sign in to follow this