Welcome To Soul-Development! An online community that cares and shares with thoughtfulness and kindness.
Sign in to follow this  
Crystal Wolf

Changing perception - walking in the rain

Crystal Wolf

So as many of you will already know I am a keen dog walker.

Today, it is grey and mizzling ( misty drizzle) and not many people are about.

I started my walk in one of those raincoats that rustle and make a noise whenever you move. The hood was down and I had my trusty wellington boots on too. So off we go....

It was not a heavy enough rain to make me want to pull my hood up so I walked along under the trees by the babbling brook, just thinking about the trees and the beautiful leaves and watching where the dogs went.

Peaceful and calm.

I looked up and realised that the light drizzle had become large drops of rain so I pulled up my hood and huddled into my raincoat. The dogs don't mind the rain and they carried on playing and running off and play hunting in the bushes and under the trees, the leaves crunching under their paws.

I heard a strange sound and felt I was being watched.

I turned my head around and looked everywhere for the source of the noises. Nothing. With my hood up and the rain pattering down it made for an uneasy combination, my hearing was affected by the close rustling of the hood. The dogs had disappeared into the undergrowth on a chase.

Was someone watching me? Were they creeping up behind me when I wasn't looking?

I now felt rather scared and alone and worried.

I was all alone!

I tore down my hood and looked all around frantically calling the dogs to come.

I realised that as soon as I took off my hood I felt better and more in control of my feelings.  Of course there was no-one following me, of course there was no-one creeping up behind me or hiding in the bushes. My perception had suddenly changed back to normal,

Sometimes it is a very small thing like wearing a hood in the rain that changes our perception, our senses change and we feel uneasy and that may grow into panic or fear.

By the way the dogs all came running back too, peaceful and calm once again :)

WolfSong

Sometimes it is a very small thing like wearing a hood in the rain that changes our perception, our senses change and we feel uneasy and that may grow into panic or fear.

I can agree with that, one night I woke up in the early hours of the morning, it was dark & I was sleepy & I got the overwhelming sense of something or someone standing over me. All of a sudden there was a huge clap of thunder that made me jump. As I lay there frightened of whatever was standing over me & listening to the thunderstorm I came to the realisation that it was my own fear that was standing behind me, if that makes sense.

CrystalDreamer

I can agree with that, one night I woke up in the early hours of the morning, it was dark & I was sleepy & I got the overwhelming sense of something or someone standing over me. All of a sudden there was a huge clap of thunder that made me jump. As I lay there frightened of whatever was standing over me & listening to the thunderstorm I came to the realisation that it was my own fear that was standing behind me, if that makes sense.

It totally does. I've had similar experiences, where the slamming shut of a door or window, a thunderclap or any other noise kind of climaxed a feeling of being watched or whatever, after which the world slowly seemed to return to normal as I realised it was, indeed, all in my head :)

Sign in to follow this