Welcome To Soul-Development! An online community that cares and shares with thoughtfulness and kindness.
Wjmarty

How do you prevent yourself reading what you want into the cards

I am still in a position where i am referring to books etc for meanings of cards. Today as I have been for the last week I pulled a card for "guidance for today" (Thoth tarrot deck)

The prince of swords came up. My books led me to believe that this card represents erratic change, searching for solutions, not concentrating on one thing at a time.

I asked for clarification and got the Magnus - a messenger, strength, action, intuition & spiritual strength.

Now how I have read this - stop swapping and changing what you are trying to learn about (from the prince of swords) & you will make some progress on enhancing your intuition etc.

Why I think I might be reading what I want to see... I know I keep flicking between books, development, divining, meditation techniques - am I making the cards fit what I already know?

Of course you could argue that the cards I picked are reinforcing what I already know and are just pointing it out to me. What are the chances of picking two cards that tell me this out of 57?

Any thoughts?

When it comes to doing readings on your self  Wjmarty, and this I feel is best advice for all of us who are dabbling in Tarot etc.

We should never second guess our first reading, because it will cause allot of confusion, frustration, and also lower the level of confidence in what direction we are looking for through our personal readings. I find if I am stuck with a question, and not sure whether the tarot is providing me a clear answer, it may be because my mind is not focused on the question, or I may be afraid of the answer because I want my answer to be what I want. Sometimes we just have to relax, clear our mind, meditate, and then ask the question when we feel ready.

The prince of Swords is about action, and at times it can symbolize bold action with swift initiation. While cutting through confusion and getting to the point. The magician strengthens the Prince of Swords through will. The Magician is pretty much giving you the thumbs up and saying you are ready.  

When we start reading for others we tend to let go of the books and learn to trust our intuition in what the tarot is saying.  

What are the chances of picking two cards that tell me this out of 57? Is really irrelevant unless you want to dabble in the science of how the Tarot actually works?

Crystal Wolf
The prince of swords came up. My books led me to believe that this card represents erratic change, searching for solutions, not concentrating on one thing at a time.

I asked for clarification and got the Magnus - a messenger, strength, action, intuition & spiritual strength.

Now how I have read this - stop swapping and changing what you are trying to learn about (from the prince of swords) & you will make some progress on enhancing your intuition etc.

Why I think I might be reading what I want to see... I know I keep flicking between books, development, divining, meditation techniques - am I making the cards fit what I already know?

Of course you could argue that the cards I picked are reinforcing what I already know and are just pointing it out to me. What are the chances of picking two cards that tell me this out of 57?

Any thoughts?

Plenty but my quote system blanked them all out lol.

Crystal Wolf

I will try again. 

Do you have a single Magus in your deck and if so which one is it? What does it look like?

You need to learn the cards first, and if you choose to stay with the Thoth then you need to embrace it's differences. 

Ask a better question instead of just asking for general guidance which is too big an area and the single card could be representing any aspect of your whole life. See? Far too big.  If you learn the cards meaning then you will see that there is no way you can influence them, perhaps try these sections too

[url=http://www.soul-development.com/forum/index.php?showforum=258]Tarot Workshops[/url]   and 

[url=http://www.soul-development.com/forum/index.php?showforum=307]Tarot How to read for yourself[/url]

Crystal Wolf

When it comes to doing readings on your self Wjmarty , and this I feel is best advice for all of us who are dabbling in Tarot etc.

We should never second guess our first reading, because it will cause allot of confusion, frustration, and also lower the level of confidence in what direction we are looking for through our personal readings. I find if I am stuck with a question, and not sure whether the tarot is providing me a clear answer, it may be because my mind is not focused on the question, or I may be afraid of the answer because I want my answer to be what I want. Sometimes we just have to relax, clear our mind, meditate, and then ask the question when we feel ready.

The prince of Swords is about action, and at times it can symbolize bold action with swift initiation. While cutting through confusion and getting to the point. The magician strengthens the Prince of Swords through will. The Magician is pretty much giving you the thumbs up and saying you are ready.  

When we start reading for others we tend to let go of the books and learn to trust our intuition in what the tarot is saying.  

What are the chances of picking two cards that tell me this out of 57? Is really irrelevant unless you want to dabble in the science of how the Tarot actually works?

No-one is dabbling, that is a bit insulting to assume that of anyone.

And The Magus, Thoth deck is not the same as The Magician, Rider Waite Smith deck.

I will try again. 

Do you have a single Magus in your deck and if so which one is it? What does it look like?

You need to learn the cards first, and if you choose to stay with the Thoth then you need to embrace it's differences. 

Ask a better question instead of just asking for general guidance which is too big an area and the single card could be representing any aspect of your whole life. See? Far too big.  If you learn the cards meaning then you will see that there is no way you can influence them, perhaps try these sections too

Tarot Workshops   and 

Tarot How to read for yourself

I have a single Magnus - Standard Thoth .

Surrounded by Wand, Sword, Cup and Disc. https://flic.kr/p/zeSDwM
Forgot to say I was going to try and learn the cards as I picked them - try and work out what they mean to me as I see them.

I'll take a look at the tutorials

No-one is dabbling, that is a bit insulting to assume that of anyone.

And The Magus, Thoth deck is not the same as The Magician, Rider Waite Smith deck.

Sorry you misunderstood my post Crystal Tarot, but it was not meant to be insulting.

Forgot to say I was going to try and learn the cards as I picked them - try and work out what they mean to me as I see them.

I'll take a look at the tutorials

Wjmarty

One of the best methods to understand the cards is by closing the mind of all logical thought and reasoning, and allow the heart to speak to to you intuitively.  

Books are fantastic references, and you do get allot out of them, but all truth in questions that you seek come from within you. Tarot cards are used as a tool to help you connect, and communicate with your higher self. And to be honest, speaking here with experience, I have learned allot more about the Tarot through other books and literature that don't say Tarot. 

Work on it Wjmarty, in time it will come to you, but i find when you read for others it gets easier.