Welcome To Soul-Development! An online community that cares and shares with thoughtfulness and kindness.
Wjmarty

Advice on introducing daughter to tarot

Wjmarty
While we were away we were looking in looking in shops, as you do, and in Cheddar Gorge there was a gothic shop, in which we looked, the kids were looking at dream catchers. One of things they were selling were tarot cards, we just glanced over them (I'm happy with my Thoth cards). A couple of days later we were in Wookey hole looking for a gift for my wife's friend, who is a bit a gothic / an aging rocker. I suggested some gothic tarot cards like we saw in cheddar. They didn't have any unfortunately and we didn't have time to go back to get them from the shop in cheddar.

A bit later one of kids was asking about tarot cards & I explained what I know about them in general terms (I don't claim to be an expert by a million miles). She seemed really interested.

Now - if she is genuinely interested, what's the best way to introduce her to tarot. I want to make sure if I get her a set of cards she treats them with respect.

Can anyone recommend a good starter book, maybe one that comes with cards (I suspect that these are usually Rider Waite). As I mentioned I have Thoth - maybe we should learn together with her own set?

Crystal Wolf

How lovely. My kids were brought up seeing me with cards and decks on the bookshelves and so on, so for them it was pretty natural.

There are a few decks that are aimed at younger readers but I wouldn't really recommend them, for instance Manga features in a few and fairy tale characters. I know you probably think I am just a RW fan but something like the Radiant Waite Deck would be good, but. no BUT you would have to teach your daughter how to read properly so that she understands they are not really a game and that a reading can have a profound effect on the seeker and the reader has to take responsibility.

How old is your daughter?

Wjmarty

How lovely. My kids were brought up seeing me with cards and decks on the bookshelves and so on, so for them it was pretty natural.

There are a few decks that are aimed at younger readers but I wouldn't really recommend them, for instance Manga features in a few and fairy tale characters. I know you probably think I am just a RW fan but something like the Radiant Waite Deck would be good

I was certainly planning on avoiding a cartoon or themed deck, something more traditional like RW.

BUT you would have to teach your daughter how to read properly so that she understands they are not really a game and that a reading can have a profound effect on the seeker and the reader has to take responsibility.

That's the 'important' bit - making sure that readings are given responsibly & ethically, IF she does get a deck.

How old is your daughter?

Just turned 13

Crystal Wolf

oh another teenager!