Welcome To Soul-Development! An online community that cares and shares with thoughtfulness and kindness.
Sign in to follow this  
TaroHeart

Pamela's resting place

TaroHeart

Hi, its been a while

I have been reading with the Rider waite deck for so many years and love how Pamela had influenced her passion with her artistic skills with this deck, after reading what little is known about her in the early 1900's and the time she had spent at the GD i have often wondered what happened to her after she had turned her back on the occult and then became a devout Catholic?

There has only been a few images of her around the time she had spent with the theatrical group she was friends with before moving to Cornwall in the early 1940's when she had received an inheritance from her uncle, we know according the Stuart kaplan that he tried searching for her where about's in the early 1970's in Bude Cornwall, but looking for any information about Pamela had come to no avail he had also went to the parish churches to find out where she had been buried but again was not able to find exactly where that was?

According to some sources she was in very ill health in the last years of her life she was also living with her companion friend Nora Lake who i expect was looking after her, Pamela was also financially in debt and couldn't afford a proper funeral which was quite sad to know.

I was able to locate PCS death certificate on a online site but its abit out of my price range to get it, i wonder what information would this have about where Pamela might be buried? some sources say she could be resting at St Micheal's all Angels Parish church in stratton on bude haven 

Crystal Wolf

How interesting. I don't understand why her death certificate should be any more expensive than any other, can you email me the details please or post them?

Have you been in contact with any researchers about this?

TaroHeart

Hi Crystal,

I found it from using the ancestry.co.uk this site had came up with just one name in the time of Pamela's death 1951 in Bude cornwall? 

I can PM you the details if you would like it didn't cost much really but i'm a struggling artist myself, what i wanted to do was make her certificate available online for research who wanted to know more about where she might be buried?

WolfSong

Death certificates are issued before a person is buried/cremated so won't show where a person is actually buried but will show where they were living at the time of death so from that info you could look at the local parish records to see if she is recorded in those.

Crystal Wolf

Thanks Wolfie and TaroHeart.

Now being a complete idiot how does one search Parish records please?

WolfSong

Found these :)

According to the newly released 1939 Register she was living in Exeter in 1939

Original 

[attachment=2388:original 1939 register.png]

Transcript

[attachment=2389:transcript 1939 register.png]

From the wills & probate book

[attachment=2390:Corinne Pamela Mary Colman Smith.png]

To be honest I don't think you'll find much info online as to where she is buried it's going to take footwork to find her by either going to the churches in the area that you think she may be buried & asking to see their burial registers or you could see what the local library has. If you don't live close by the local family history society may do some record searching for you but they will probably make a charge for doing so.

WolfSong

UK death certificates cost £9.25 from here https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp half the cost of going through ancestry.

Copies of parish records 

Thanks Wolfie and TaroHeart.

Now being a complete idiot how does one search Parish records please?

That involves going to a library & using a microfiche machine. :)

I read that at the time of her death she was a Roman Catholic & according to the Cornwall Family History Society Catholic records are not so freely available as those of the Anglican Church so in most cases it is necessary to apply to the actual church to see a register. 

If you google Corinne Pamela Colman Smith it'll bring up loads of research already done on her.  

TaroHeart

According to Stuart Kaplan's research on Pamela she had left everything to her friend Nora Lake, as there was nothing left after her debts were paid there was nothing for Nora to have. If this is true then there was a will, it was probated so this could also be found among the parish records?

She might have been a Nora Lake who died in Exeter in Devon in 1962, but there are a few others but i don't think this will likely help much but you never know?

WolfSong

I don't believe libraries keep copies of actual wills & probate documents other than the index books that show the entries like I posted above but you can get a copies from the Principal Probate Registry which will cost you £10.00.