Welcome To Soul-Development! An online community that cares and shares with thoughtfulness and kindness.
Wjmarty

Unexpected reaction to Waite cards

Wjmarty

For about the last year I have had a set of Thoth cards & love them.

One of the kids has kept asking about tarot and thought of getting her her own set of cards. I thought getting a set of Waite cards would be the best as they are considered a better set to start on & are less... controversial (also a lot fewer references to sex etc. in the symbology).

I bought her a set of Universal Waite cards. The recoloured cards popped out of the page on the laptop.

The set arrived today so I opened the pack up to take a look. There was something about them that just doesn't resonate with me. I wasn't expecting such a negative reaction to a what is considered such a "normal" & middle of the road set of cards.

Crystal Wolf

oh, were they definitely Universal Waite  by Pamela Colman Smith and not Universal Tarot by Roberto D'Angelis?

for a youngster I would also recommend a pocket size deck, makes it easier to use,  in particular the Radiant Waite comes in a delightful little tin :)

But, if you are a Thoth user then you probably may not like any Waite cards, after all Crowley and Waite fought over tarot?

Wjmarty

Oh yes, definitely Universal Waite.

These are pocket sized and come in a nice little, solid box. (I'll take a picture later).

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Crystal Wolf

Figured you were right, what is it about the pictures then?

Wjmarty

Not any picture specifically - just seems to be whole feeling of the cards. Can't quite put my finger on it.

Crystal Wolf

what will you do then? ebay them and get another deck?

Wjmarty

Think I'm going to persevere with them.

See if my feelings towards them change as I learn to read them.

Crystal Wolf
2 hours ago, Wjmarty said:

Think I'm going to persevere with them.

See if my feelings towards them change as I learn to read them.

I have taken the liberty of adding you to the 2016 Tarot Class, have a look at see what you think :) Feel free to join in.

Wjmarty

Thank you

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Poseidon

I have read and been told when choosing a deck it's one of those experiences where "a" deck pulls you to it, and for no apparent reason you feel drawn to it, and decide to buy it, and build a relationship with it.

Not sure if anyone would like to elaborate on this superstition, or share their beliefs on it?

Crystal Wolf
8 hours ago, Poseidon said:

I have read and been told when choosing a deck it's one of those experiences where "a" deck pulls you to it, and for no apparent reason you feel drawn to it, and decide to buy it, and build a relationship with it.

Not sure if anyone would like to elaborate on this superstition, or share their beliefs on it?

Well as a tarot teacher I can see both ways - choosing a deck because you are drawn to it; and also choosing a deck because it is The deck that started the modern world's fascination with tarot (Rider Waite Smith)and because it is easy to read and learn and will give the reader a solid foundation in tarot that can then be transferred to all other decks.

It is great to pick a deck because you can't put it down or because you like the idea of 'cats' or vampires or fairies etc, and to use it but many people get put off and daunted because they can't read the artist's messages easily. There are no typical universal messages behind each card but they are clouded with the artist's baggage and life experiences which lead o their biased interpretations. Of course some decks are based on he RWS anyway and so are easy lo.

Which decks do you have Poseidon? and why and  also good to see you popping in again xx

Poseidon
14 hours ago, Crystal Tarot said:

Well as a tarot teacher I can see both ways - choosing a deck because you are drawn to it; and also choosing a deck because it is The deck that started the modern world's fascination with tarot (Rider Waite Smith)and because it is easy to read and learn and will give the reader a solid foundation in tarot that can then be transferred to all other decks.

It is great to pick a deck because you can't put it down or because you like the idea of 'cats' or vampires or fairies etc, and to use it but many people get put off and daunted because they can't read the artist's messages easily. There are no typical universal messages behind each card but they are clouded with the artist's baggage and life experiences which lead o their biased interpretations. Of course some decks are based on he RWS anyway and so are easy lo.

Which decks do you have Poseidon? and why and  also good to see you popping in again xx

I agree,

Crystal Tarot I have a feeling me and you share a common passion for the Tarot lol

I have to admit, I am more drawn to the older decks than the nerwer ones, allot of the newer decks have amazing art work that facinate me, but when it comes to readings I can do it, but the feeling is not the same, perhaps I'm more of an old school metaphysitian lol

WolfSong

When I first got interested in tarot I was also told to buy a deck that I felt drawn to & at the last count I had collected over a hundred decks trying to find the right deck. For most of them it was the artwork that initially drew me in but when I tried to read with them I just saw pretty pictures & nothing more until I met Crystal & she suggested learning with the Rider Waite Smith. Now the RWS or one of its variations is my go to deck & the majority of the other decks I have have been put away in a box at the back of a cupboard. 

Crystal Wolf

Awhh thanks. Least it isn't my fault you buy so many decks hehehe

As I have said so many time before the 'thing' about the Rider Waite Smith decks (first printed over 100 years ago in December 1909) is that it was the first tarot deck ever to have a scenic picture on each card rather than 'pips' just showing 5 Swords or 4 Cups etc, thus making it much easier to learn and read especially by my trigger method of learning.

(Rider = Rider & Sons the printer)

(Waite = Arthur Edward Waite the author)

(Smith = Pamela Colman-Smith the artist)

Crystal Wolf
10 hours ago, Poseidon said:

I agree,

Crystal Tarot I have a feeling me and you share a common passion for the Tarot lol

I have to admit, I am more drawn to the older decks than the nerwer ones, allot of the newer decks have amazing art work that facinate me, but when it comes to readings I can do it, but the feeling is not the same, perhaps I'm more of an old school metaphysitian lol

But you didn't give a  deck name? And by older do you mean TdM Tarot de Marseille? Or things like  Tarot of the Witches from 1973? Hehehe and I am apparently a tarot snob lol!

Poseidon
14 hours ago, Crystal Tarot said:

But you didn't give a  deck name? And by older do you mean TdM Tarot de Marseille? Or things like  Tarot of the Witches from 1973? Hehehe and I am apparently a tarot snob lol!

That's ok Crystal Tarot, it's a fair question, you like details, I can respect that.

Yes, Tarot de Marseille, is one of my favorites, I believe it's dated mid 1800's, The Grand Etteilla Tarot another rare deck for the early 1800's, The Golden Dawn Tarot I may of mentioned in a previous thread, Waite Rider Deck of course, and I would have to add the Thoth by Etillia, not a very common deck, also not an old deck, but it does give me a classic feel to it.

Crystal Wolf

OMG The Grand Etteilla! my word that deck is really hard to work with? Can it even really be called a tarot deck?

And I do like details but more than that hehehe I love tarot talk!

The Thoth by Etteilla too is nothing like the Thoth Thoth though? By Crowley? Is it?

Poseidon
9 hours ago, Crystal Tarot said:

OMG The Grand Etteilla! my word that deck is really hard to work with? Can it even really be called a tarot deck?

And I do like details but more than that hehehe I love tarot talk!

The Thoth by Etteilla too is nothing like the Thoth Thoth though? By Crowley? Is it?

The Grand Etteilla! I guess this can be debated, it's an older deck, so the ideas that created it are not like the minds of this era.

OH! Nooo!!! , The Etteilla deck is not even close in any wat ot the Crowley deck.

Tarot talk can be interesting, I like discussing different decks, and get to know other people opinions on them.

I also like those threads where someone pulls a card, and we gather together and share thought and feeling about it's meanings, and how we perceive the energies that speak to us through archetypes.

Edited by Poseidon