Welcome to ☆.¸¸.✫ Soul-Development Forum ✫.¸¸.☆

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Crystal Tarot

Soul-Development   02/12/2017

WELCOME To Soul-Development.com An online community that cares and shares with thoughtfulness and kindness.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LLyr

All about Candles

60 posts in this topic

I am looking into making my own candles, I go through a heck of a lot of candles! So I thought it was something that I could add into my craft. Making different types of candles, maybe pinch MM's excellent idea of inscribing runic symbols into them. I could direct various emotions and energies into them which could enhance the effect of my spell craft.

It's another little thing to add to my witchy things to do :)

Does anyone have any experience in making their own candles?

It can be messy... and make sure and protect your hands and the rest of you as well! Depending on what type of wax you go with you might need a old pan to melt it in and loads of whatever you wish to pour it into to make your candles themselves. It can be a expensive craft but if you don't mind grabbing up just loads of old trash stuff you can make your own molds and such. I save my cat food cans, and cans or jars for when doing the dipped ones. (those are harden than the wax chips you can buy at hobby lobby) just microwave and ta-da! ;) loads of fun~ also addictive and the more you get addicted the more money you will wind up spending cause of the ideas and goodies you start wanting! LOL

Somebody please start a candle thread we need to get all this info together. I would love to make candles, I think my daughter has a kit somewhere lol, otherwise how do you make them do we need to go and raid a bee nest?

you can or go to a bee keeper and see if they will bargain or what price they put on the comb. but you can also get paraffin wax at the grocery story in the canning supplies or actual different color wax at like hobby lobby or your craft store and a last but not least they sell all the diff kinds including the wax chips online.... (I guess you could even just melt crayons and form them up as well hmmm hadn't thought about that!) I picked up 4 1lb blocks of wax at a garage sale I still need to melt and form up into something candles or figurines :ph34r: :rofl:

I am going to have to go to town in a couple of weeks to our nearest craft store to see what they have in stock. I am away for the weekend on Friday so I will have to have a look the following weekend. The can's are a great idea MM!! :drinks:

I spotted some beeswax sheets & wicks on ebay the other day for rolled candles. :)

afdeb5c2-93af-4164-b428-6ab5c4b0bf89_zps

wow that is really easy and very pretty

is soya wax any good? Does anyone know if it drips or smokes or is nice?

I know a lot of candle makers like the soy wax better cause it is not oil product and doesn't smoke like reg candles do.. I have made one small mini tea lite with it once? But it is a lot higher price is my issue with it. but it does make pretty clean working candles. Can add EO's to it for fragrances etc.. if you wanted..

thanks, see I have no idea what a good price is for wax lol, oh dear the price of wax must've just gone shooting up lol

I haven't looked at prices in a couple of years! I guess a lot of if depends on your local craft store and worse case scenario I swear by ebay and amazon! I buy soooo much stuff of those 2 I should have a preferred buyer title in my account! LOL ;)

I haven't had time to check yet, but I will have a look. what do you type in? candle making kits?

1 hour ago, LLyr said:

I haven't had time to check yet, but I will have a look. what do you type in? candle making kits?

Yes, it will bring up all sorts of kits.

Nope, decided against the starter kit I have just bought 2kg of paraffin wax, 5 metres of wick and some metal retainers and some red dye.

I am going to use a biro pen as a wick pin and Heinz beans cans as the mould. I am also going to recycle all my old candles that hasn't melted and bung them in as well.

Here we go!! whoop whoop!!!

grins You will have a blast! Make them like HUGE version of tea lite candles... you can also use that bean can and a pencil to do the "Dip" candles as well you if you wish for some small, tall stick candles also.... just tie your wick to the pencil and lay it vor the can opening wick handing down into the wax and lift and set over a empty can to dry then dip as many times as you wish the thickness to be...can make many versions! So much fun~ I hope you post pics!

That's a good idea I will try that!! Yes I will definitely post some pics to show my progress... I am guessing the first few may be a little messy but I will be hoping for improvement!!

wheeeeee, what excitement here.

Think we should all try and get a candle ready for Hallooooooweeeeeeen at least?  and do a spell together?

Llyr I was just about to press on the link to get the kit lol lucky I read the wholel thread first.

Madame Bunny One that is a hot tip! dipping candles sounds fun!

Any idea on the colour of the candle, Llyr is yours going to be pink (little dye) or red (lots)?

Well I will be aiming for red!! but what comes out we will have to see!! haha!! I will take a pic and post anyway so you can see for yourself!!

oooh ye we all need to take pics, I am sure they will add to the energy :)

Yeah I will start doing mine next week when I come back :)

I've just been on eBay and you can buy 1 kilo of soya wax for about £7 and 50 wicks for £3. Ive been saving the small kenco, flavoured coffee jars which would be perfect for candles and make lovely little Christmas gifts for the table.

Are you going to give it a go too Legna? Excellent!! If you do be careful with glass jars and also I would suggest that you don't use the same jar more than once. I have been researching and the heat has been known to weaken the glass especially over time and they can explode.

1 hour ago, LLyr said:

Are you going to give it a go too Legna? Excellent!! If you do be careful with glass jars and also I would suggest that you don't use the same jar more than once. I have been researching and the heat has been known to weaken the glass especially over time and they can explode.

Yes I thought I would give it a go because I've been wondering what to do with the jars I've collected.

Thanks for the tip. I was only going to use the jars once. The jars are like proper little storage jars with the glass lid.. The idea is to fill them with the coloured wax ,rather like the popular candle jars you can buy. I will probably experiment a bit first, to see how long I can leave the wax to cool, without it setting, before pouring into the jars.

Does anyone know about Stearate? it apparently needs to be added to make harder wax or something, still learning here lol