Welcome To Soul-Development! An online community that cares and shares with thoughtfulness and kindness.
Sign in to follow this  
Div

Does anybody..

Div

use math in their tarot readings??

for instance, I did a reading for myself yesterday (first time in ages!)

i drew an 8 of swords and a 2 of cups, and the world. (open to ideas of what those mean)

to give you an idea of what I mess around with:

ok. so lets say we have those three cards i mentioned. they each have their own meanings to be interpreted based on they themselves, and our own experience. but then lets say, we do some math. (yesterday i used my "Crystal Tarot" deck, which was the first one i got. i have a different one too). (im copying and pasting the following from what i wrote to myself yesterday, it might get confusing lol)

well

according to the booklet...(i try to avoid using the books but Its been a long, long time since i did this..)

2 of cups= "passion"
8 of swords= "defense"
the world="reward"

(according to the book)

the world is the 21st major card, 2+1=3,

3+2+8=13, and 1+3=4.

8(defense) divided by 2(passion)=4

passion (2) divided by defense (8)  equals .25, 2+5=7

defense or passion multiplied by the other (2x8 or 8x2) equals 16, 1+6=7

defense divided by passion (8 divided by 2) plus the world (3) equals 7
whether your passions are divided, or multiplied by your defenses, the result is the same. (16, or, 7)
but if your passions DIVIDE your defenses, the result is different. (4)

but by adding the "reward", or the world (3),
you end up with the same result again, 7.

but if you use your passion to multiply your defenses, or your defenses to multiply your passions, and THEN add the reward,
the result is the most unique of them all, (7+3)

does that make sense to you?

yea im not sure either.

in my book at least, for each suit,
7s represent: imagination, charity, achievement, and secrets. the 7th major card represents "Victory" (with ignorance)

10s represent: awards, wealth, success, and affliction. yikes. the 10th major card represents "alternation"

4s represent: birth, saving, alliances, isolation. the 4th major card represents stability (masculine love).

4 definitely seems most ideal of an outcome, achieved by cutting my defenses in half using my passions.

that still leaves the world card, 21, 3.

3s represent: growth, expansion, preperation, desperation. the third major card is "fertility" (feminine love)

so, cut my defenses in half by losing myself to my passions more often, add in a whole bunch of growth, expansion, preparation and desperation,
be masculine love and add some good feminine love in there,
and i have "victory"

whatever that means.

(again just following the meanings of the book at the moment because It's been so long. in my personal life i've already made tons of connections but here's an example of how i sometimes work with math in my readings to try and "compute" the meanings, the potential outcomes of various routes to take with it, if you will)

its interesting at least, if not overly complicated

Div

by the way I never really learned how to "read tarot"

i don't follow any particular system or style, other than the meanings of the cards themselves.

in other words,

i don't know anything, i just go with it.

LLyr
16 hours ago, Div said:

use math in their tarot readings??

for instance, I did a reading for myself yesterday (first time in ages!)

i drew an 8 of swords and a 2 of cups, and the world. (open to ideas of what those mean)

to give you an idea of what I mess around with:

ok. so lets say we have those three cards i mentioned. they each have their own meanings to be interpreted based on they themselves, and our own experience. but then lets say, we do some math. (yesterday i used my "Crystal Tarot" deck, which was the first one i got. i have a different one too). (im copying and pasting the following from what i wrote to myself yesterday, it might get confusing lol)

well

according to the booklet...(i try to avoid using the books but Its been a long, long time since i did this..)

2 of cups= "passion"
8 of swords= "defense"
the world="reward"

(according to the book)

the world is the 21st major card, 2+1=3,

3+2+8=13, and 1+3=4.

8(defense) divided by 2(passion)=4

passion (2) divided by defense (8)  equals .25, 2+5=7

defense or passion multiplied by the other (2x8 or 8x2) equals 16, 1+6=7

defense divided by passion (8 divided by 2) plus the world (3) equals 7
whether your passions are divided, or multiplied by your defenses, the result is the same. (16, or, 7)
but if your passions DIVIDE your defenses, the result is different. (4)

but by adding the "reward", or the world (3),
you end up with the same result again, 7.

but if you use your passion to multiply your defenses, or your defenses to multiply your passions, and THEN add the reward,
the result is the most unique of them all, (7+3)

does that make sense to you?

yea im not sure either.

in my book at least, for each suit,
7s represent: imagination, charity, achievement, and secrets. the 7th major card represents "Victory" (with ignorance)

10s represent: awards, wealth, success, and affliction. yikes. the 10th major card represents "alternation"

4s represent: birth, saving, alliances, isolation. the 4th major card represents stability (masculine love).

4 definitely seems most ideal of an outcome, achieved by cutting my defenses in half using my passions.

that still leaves the world card, 21, 3.

3s represent: growth, expansion, preperation, desperation. the third major card is "fertility" (feminine love)

so, cut my defenses in half by losing myself to my passions more often, add in a whole bunch of growth, expansion, preparation and desperation,
be masculine love and add some good feminine love in there,
and i have "victory"

whatever that means.

(again just following the meanings of the book at the moment because It's been so long. in my personal life i've already made tons of connections but here's an example of how i sometimes work with math in my readings to try and "compute" the meanings, the potential outcomes of various routes to take with it, if you will)

its interesting at least, if not overly complicated

I love this Div!

I don't think there is a right way or a wrong way to read cards and if you are a numbers person I think your method is just as valid as anyone elses!!

The only thing I would comment on is that in my opinion, if you ask the cards a question and you have bonded with your cards and trust in them, then potentially it could be argued that whatever results the cards themselves give you, are then being changed by your mathematical logic. In my opinion, although very much fun, successful divination of any form deviates away from logic. If someone has a reading and it turns out to be a very successful reading, most people find that the results were obtained in ways that the logical thinking person would never had predicted.

That is just an opinion but I still loved reading your post and really enjoyed learning about the way that you read cards I think it's great and very original :)

poppy

LLyr, I agree with you to a point, yet isn't the logic that Div speaks seems to be the logic of the universe through the cards, not the limited logic of man?

LLyr

It depends if I am getting confused or not poppy!! which I may well be!! :)

What I mean is the results of the random selection of the cards could be perceived as universal selection. What I was getting at though was simply who's decision was it to add, multiply or divide the numbers and in what order.

I am not saying it is right or wrong I am simply saying that human logical thinking is involved in the process at that point.

The result of those human logical mathematical actions then go on to have a bearing on the end result which gives you a read that differs from the original.

poppy
2 hours ago, LLyr said:

It depends if I am getting confused or not poppy!! which I may well be!! :)

What I mean is the results of the random selection of the cards could be perceived as universal selection. What I was getting at though was simply who's decision was it to add, multiply or divide the numbers and in what order.

I am not saying it is right or wrong I am simply saying that human logical thinking is involved in the process at that point.

The result of those human logical mathematical actions then go on to have a bearing on the end result which gives you a read that differs from the original.

What you say is certainly true if the mathematics is used after a card reading system has been used. I am assuming that the definition of the reduced numbers is the same or similar to those used often used in "fortune telling". 

I am somewhat basing my opinion upon Lenorman. Lenorman is really not a card deck as we see today but a system of divination based upon the playing card deck used in a board game, the "Game of Life", which was popular in Europe in the 1700. Even today with the many Lenorman decks, the meaning of each card is defined by its number (1 - 36), not by the picture or name on the card. Often the playing card equivalent of each Lenorman card is still printed somewhere on each card and adds to the card meaning. Lenorman has the same meaning if using a playing card deck stripped down to 36 cards. 

I guess we are both saying about the same thing, but in a different way.

LLyr

I have to be honest poppy I know absolutely nothing about the Lenorman decks I have never seen them or even heard about them before you have mentioned them previously.

I think it is something I am going to have to learn more about as it does sound interesting.

poppy
1 hour ago, LLyr said:

I have to be honest poppy I know absolutely nothing about the Lenorman decks I have never seen them or even heard about them before you have mentioned them previously.

I think it is something I am going to have to learn more about as it does sound interesting.

As I see it, Tarot is a skill which awakens your intuition. You can really dig into each card and expand the answer to your question from the picture on the card. Each different deck can have a different meaning for you. 

Lenormand was derived from a board game, "The Game of Hope", and each playing card of the 36 card deck has several specific meanings regardless pf the deck used. For a basic reading the first card drawn is the subject or verb and the second card modifies it. A third card can be drawn to add meaning. An advanced system looks at the interaction of all 36 cards but this is way beyond my ability.   

The sentence type of structure reminds me much if the Chinese I Ching.  

Crystal Wolf

hehehe we need Madame Bunny One for the 36 card Tableau reading , she loves doing those.

But what an interesting conversation.

A few points come to mind, it would be great when I get more time to start up the tarot course again and then I can show you all hiow I believe the cards should be read, and it is fun and easy with no remembering, Poppy knows lol.

Div has some very interesting ideas there bordering on the obsessive and compulsive number freak lol,  someone that enjoys and voluntarily uses math!! I recognise that as my daughter in the same - playing and working with numbers for everything , so please take that as a complement, :)  I will think some more :)

Legna
6 hours ago, Crystal Tarot said:

hehehe we need Madame Bunny One for the 36 card Tableau reading , she loves doing those.

But what an interesting conversation.

A few points come to mind, it would be great when I get more time to start up the tarot course again and then I can show you all hiow I believe the cards should be read, and it is fun and easy with no remembering, Poppy knows lol.

Div has some very interesting ideas there bordering on the obsessive and compulsive number freak lol,  someone that enjoys and voluntarily uses math!! I recognise that as my daughter in the same - playing and working with numbers for everything , so please take that as a complement, :)  I will think some more 

Someone ,quite close to me, has changed their name, something to do with numbers,something I don't really understand.Now that is obsessive lol.

LLyr

Is their name Jonny number 5??? :rofl:

Div

thanks for the replies ya'll!

yea there does seem to be a sorta grey area between logic and intuition with this method, though i have to agree with what poppy said about it being more the "logic of the cards" than my own logic. I also find that my logical mind can really feed my imaginative/intuitive mind and vice versa, in a way that they can aid each other instead of get in each others way. Im not sure how i'd describe the difference, or if i ever know what it is!

I'd also never heard of those Lenorman cards until today.

I dont always use math or numbers, it's just something i find amusing sometimes. I definitely wouldnt say im a numbers freak lol! my understanding of math is pretty basic. I also hated math. I failed it 4 times, out of sheer spite. maybe this is my way of reclaiming its magic

Div

tarot class sounds cool, I could definitely use more knowledge

LLyr

My son is doing his GCSE exams so I am having to re-learn things that I have forgotten to help him with his revision. He has just completed his 2 maths exams and I had to go through Pythagoras and quadratic equations with him. Glad I did though because they were in the exams!! 

Crystal Wolf

Exams ugh, I am so glad they are well in the past for both me and my kids lol.

LLyr

Hahaha Yeah tell me about it, I will be glad when it is all over