Welcome To Soul-Development! An online community that cares and shares with thoughtfulness and kindness.
Sign in to follow this  
Crystal Wolf

Mindfulness - Does it work?

Crystal Wolf
  • Researchers from the University of Melbourne analyzed mindfulness and meditation to see if it helped with physical and mental health 
  • They found a lack of evidence that it helps with stress, depression or pain 

Soooo, what does everyone think? Does mindfulness work, does it help you?

Legna

Well I'm not sure whether mindfulness alone, can help with pain management or depression but, like many natural therapies, there are benefits when used in conjunction with treatments used by the health professionals. 

I practice mindfulness regularly and for me, it helps to improve my memory. As mindfulness encourages individuals to take care and to give their full concentration on the task in hand, whether drinking a cup of coffee, taking a walk in the park or completing tasks in the workplace, it helps to keep the mind on one thing at a time, instead of jumping ahead.If I am being mindful, I am not filling my mind with far too many things,which cause overload and memory loss, all of which is the bodies way of protecting us from a complete meltdown.

So surely mindfulness must have some benefits ,even  if it just helps us to slow down and concentrate more .Being mindful does benefit our senses,in my opinion, and can help us to enjoy the simplest of experiences, something we all forget to do or take for granted and, I'm sure that would be of benefit for some depression sufferers ,if not for those suffering pain. I think that,not having concrete proof, doesn't mean that it can't work for some people.

• Like 1

Telepath John

Hi,

Mindfulness does help me. I am introspective. When I am made aware of some thing, either through dreams or some personal inclination, I do my best to use those insights by asking myself questions.

John

• Like 1

Crystal Wolf

I think that mindfulness helps me, not perhaps to overcome depression but anxiety yes. If I am running late and start getting in a tizz I start thinking mindfully and realise that I am not late yet so why fuss, if I carry on calmly and focus on what I am doing and stop the worrying then I find I can speed up and not be late after all (most of the time)

So perhaps it was the survey that had different people?

I am not sure how it could help depression though? Any examples or ideas?

• Like 1

poppy

To me it seems that the effectiveness of mindfulness ls dependent upon how well we understand our intention for it

A few months ago when I was passing a 4 mm kidney stone, I found mindfulness considerably more effective than over the counter pain remedies yet not as long lasting. My main use of mindfulness is as contemplative prayer. Both procedures are nearly identical with the exception of the intention.  

• Like 1

Legna
7 hours ago, Crystal Wolf said:

I think that mindfulness helps me, not perhaps to overcome depression but anxiety yes. If I am running late and start getting in a tizz I start thinking mindfully and realise that I am not late yet so why fuss, if I carry on calmly and focus on what I am doing and stop the worrying then I find I can speed up and not be late after all (most of the time)

So perhaps it was the survey that had different people?

With depression ,many people withdraw from  their surroundings as well as other people, and become so withdrawn and focused on their depression,, fail to see anything positive in their lives as well as in their surroundings.So ,depending on the severity of depression and the cause, some people may be helped, for  example,by  taking a walk in a nearby street and being mindful.Things we might usually miss by something we do each day can unearth unexpected beauty such as, a tiny, pretty, flower growing in a bit of soil in the gutter. Reminding us that positiveness exists all around us, even if we don't notice. It might not seem like it would help much but, if practiced regularly ,maybe it would help people to focus more on the positive ,rather than the negative.

• Like 1

Crystal Wolf

I wonder, to me being led through mindfulness discussions in a group would be more helpful than a gp saying  use mindfulness techniques lol?

Groups, especially online can be very very helpful  I think :)

• Like 1

Telepath John
On 10/13/2017 at 7:48 AM, Crystal Wolf said:

Hello,

The issue with depression is too much in the way of mindfulness focused on the negative. Obsession over worries and concerns will kill you one way or another.

Now if a person was truly mindful of that circumstance, they would make every effort to focus their thinking and move their feelings towards the good things in life. Mindfulness could work for them to manage their thoughts and emotions.

There are books like 'The Biology of Belief', which describe how powerful the Focus of our Attention is. As a 74 year old guy who has excellay physical, mental, and emotional health, I am entitled to say these things.

John

Crystal Wolf

(((((((Poppy))))))))) heck!  

Sign in to follow this